Gain a sustainable advantage with Ingredion
The race to offer consumers more sustainable options and meet corporate sustainability goals has never been more intense. Responsible sourcing, healthy eating and simple labels are increasingly important to consumers. But designing great-tasting products with consumer-preferred, sustainable ingredients requires a trusted sourcing partner with tested experience.
We believe that sustainability is a shared responsibility and an opportunity to collaborate with our stakeholders to promote a more sustainable planet. This thinking is underscored in our 2030 All Life plan — to bring together the potential of people, nature and technology to make all life better. This strategy allows us to further align with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals while driving continuous innovation in our sustainability efforts.
2022 Sustainability Report
This year’s theme is “Growing Forward Together,” which reflects the continued growth of our sustainability efforts and our commitment to link sustainability and growth with our customers.
Our sustainability approach
At Ingredion, we approach our sustainability program from three angles: Everyday Life, Planet Life and Connected Life.
Everyday Life focuses on human beings and making sure our processes and innovations don’t come at the expense of product and people safety, human rights and diversity, equity and inclusion. Planet Life is focused on our sourcing, processing and operations as they relate to environmental impact and biodiversity. Connected Life is concerned with sustainable and regenerative agriculture, food security and community impact.
We continuously work to advance the progress we make through these three lenses, both for our own sustainability goals and to help our customers meet theirs. Here are just a few examples of our recent efforts and accomplishments in each of the key areas. See the full report for more details.
Powering Planet Life
Related to environmental impact, Ingredion is on track to:
- Achieve a 25% reduction in absolute GHG emissions by the end of 2030
- Source 50% of our purchased electricity from renewable sources by the end of 2030
- Reduce our water use intensity by 30% in all extremely high-stress geographies where we manufacture products by the end of 2030
- Achieve 100% avoidance of waste to landfill by the end of 2030
- Assess agricultural biodiversity risks for priority crops and sourcing regions by the end of 2023
- Achieve zero deforestation, or 100% sustainable use of forest-based resources, by the end of 2030
Changing Connected Life
Expanding our work in sustainable and regenerative agriculture around the world, Ingredion aims to:
- Have 100% of Tier 1 priority crops sustainably sourced by the end of 2025, and our Tier 2 priority crops by 2030
- Implement water conservation projects with growers in 100% of extremely high water-stressed sourcing geographies by the end of 2025
- Confirm that 100% of our agricultural supply is not using pesticides of concern (as defined by the World Health Organization) by the end of 2025
- Educate growers and/or implement integrated pest management in at least 70% of our agricultural supply chain by the end of 2027
- Enact programs in 100% of the communities where we produce products to help eradicate childhood hunger by the end of 2025
Enriching Everyday Life
In an effort to ensure product and people safety and protect human rights, Ingredion is working to:
- Implement the ISO 26000 social responsibility guidance by the end of 2023
- Assess the human rights protection practices across 100% of our agricultural supply chain for Tier 1 priority crops by the end of 2024
- Audit 100% of suppliers meeting high-risk criteria for human rights by the end of 2027
- Validate human rights protection across Ingredion’s operations and supply chain by the end of 2030
- Achieve 100% on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index as an employer of choice for LGBTQ+ employees by the end of 2022
Our latest sustainability news and initiatives
Added transparency and sustainability with HowGood
Ingredion's partnership with HowGood offers greater transparency into the sustainability of our leading products. It will provide the critical data needed to help our customers make the best ingredient choices and enable the achievement of their sustainability goals.
Ingredion is excited to announce our partnership with HowGood, the world's largest database of sustainable food, beverage and personal care product offerings. Along with our goal of sustainably sourcing 99% of our global crop supply by 2025, our partnership with HowGood will deliver transparency through scorecards on our top products and new product innovations. This will enable our customers to make informed ingredient choices that help deliver on their corporate sustainability goals and meet increasing consumer demands for more sustainable options.
Ingredion’s plant proteins recognized for sustainability excellence
Our ultra-performance line of plant-based protein solutions has been named the Best Plant-Based Sustainability winner during the 2022 World Plant-Based Awards. This better-tasting, more sustainable product line provides great versatility in a variety of applications.
Sustainability and wellness are linked in consumers' minds
Partner with Ingredion and use sustainability to strengthen your position in the wellness space, meet consumer expectations and promote food and beverages with wellness benefits.
The Sugar Reduction LCA
Discover how PureCircle™ by Ingredion elevates the sustainability of sugar reduction by reading our Sugar Reduction Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), which explores how stevia compares — and wins — against other sweeteners across multiple environmental impact metrics.
Annual sustainability reports
Expansion of Process Advancement Center in Indianapolis Provides Sustainable PO Process on Semi-Works Scale
Let’s make your goals a reality
Agile collaboration. Deep formulation expertise. Broad portfolio of in-demand ingredients. Market research and consumer insights.